Thursday, January 16, 2014

PERSONAL WRITES: You Must Be the Change..

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Like many of you, I am a Baby Boomer. I'm also a Flower Child of the sixties and I can't help but wonder what happened to all of us?

I believed we would be the generation that would change the world into a loving and peaceful universe.





We, as a united country and nation, need to take a closer look and resolve this problem. Boundaries have to be established NOW.

No weapons, licensed or otherwise, should be allowed inside schools, recreational family areas, movie theaters, malls, etc.

Airports don't allow a passenger to carry any weapons.

When I was in Europe in 2004, banks had one entrance and everything, including purses, wallets, keys, were placed in a locker before you could get inside the bank. Once you conducted your banking, you were led to another exit to the lobby where you could get to your locker. Everything inside was bulletproof. I remember thinking then that it was a little extreme. Well, I've changed my mind and think they were much smarter than us and much more proactive.

If it means we have to install equipment in every establishment, I'm willing to pay it because life is much more precious to me than anything else.

After what happened at The Groves movie theater this week, I'm forced to face reality. Violence is becoming more common in our world. I don't ever remember fearing for my safety if I entered a mall, a movie, or a school. As a pacifist, I've never believed in guns and I still don't. I do understand that we have a freedom that's priceless and I respect the right to carry a concealed and licensed weapon. But too much has happened in recent years for me to feel comfortable about it.

 A man was killed by a trusted, retired officer of the law, because of a petty argument. If this man hadn't been allowed to bring a gun inside, the argument could have been handled differently. It's too easy to pull out that revolver when tempers are flaring. It's too easy to pull a trigger when someone on the road cuts you off or tail gaits you.

Yes,  I want to have the right to defend myself in my home. Yes, I want everyone to keep their rights, but I don't want lives to be taken when other people are violating those rights. Too many people are getting away with murder. And I hope this man's attorney doesn't get him off on an insanity plea.

I'd like some feedback. Nothing angry, just open discussion. It's okay to disagree with me. Maybe we can come up with a resolution that will make everyone happy and a lot safer.

Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment