Saturday, August 31, 2019

SATURDAY'S SHORT STORY

THE BOX


The minute the man bolted inside her shop, Jessica recognized him and heaved a heavy sigh. She had hoped never to see him again.

     "Hello, Mr. Palance. I see you've brought back the box."
    
     "Yes." His voice growled. "I don't care if it was free, I'm giving it back. I should have known something was fishy. Who owns a store and gives things away?"

     "Very well. I did promise if you weren't satisfied you could return it.."

     As he watched her hide the box under the counter, he scolded, "You shouldn't give this box to anyone else, Miss Kirsten. It's cursed, I tell you. It's brought me nothing but problems."

     "I am sorry things didn't work out for you. The last time you were here, you told me things had never been better. You even mentioned meeting a special lady. I reminded you then, you needed to give the box away."

     Mr. Palance rubbed the stubble on his chin, "Yes, that's true. I just couldn't part with it. In the beginning, nothing went wrong. Money was pouring in. So  I made sure the box was never out of my sight, for fear the spell would be broken. Then suddenly everything went wrong. My business partner embezzled thousands of dollars and it's going to take years before it's resolved in the courts. I'm facing bankruptcy. My girlfriend turned out to be the kind of woman who expected me to buy her expensive jewelry and wine and dine her every night." He wiped his forehead with his handkerchief.

     "Why did you keep the box? That wasn't part of the agreement. I told you it would only hold its magic for a short while. Then it was vital for you to give the box away and specify the conditions. That's the tradition. It's a way for other people to have the same opportunity to prosper, just as you did."

     "I wasn't going to give up something that was bringing me good fortune. It's a useless piece of junk now. I've taken all it had to give." Without saying anything else he stormed out the front door.

     A little while later, a young girl entered the shop and gave Jessica a warm smile, "Oh what a lovely little store. It's so enchanting." She exclaimed as she walked around.

     "Thank you. Is there something special I can help you find?"

     "I'm looking for a special gift for someone who needs a little joy in her life."

     "Perhaps you may be interested in this." Jessica reached behind the counter and presented the young girl with the box Mr. Palance had returned.

     The girl made a frown as she examined it. "This looks like an  ordinary old box."

     "Yes, it's age is quite authentic. "It's been said the box will bring luck and good fortune to anyone who is willing to give it away. I must warn you. Once a person has it, it will be extremely difficult to part with it. Their lives will dramatically change.. However, the box will only be magical for its owner for a short while. He or she will have to give it away so that someone else will prosper. So you must be sure the new owner understands the conditions and consequences."

     "Something like a tradition that's passed on from generation to generation, only you don't have to wait to pass it along."

     "Exactly." Jessica smiled in approval. "If you are not happy with the box, you may return it at any time."

     "I hate spending money on an old box." She examined the box closer. "It does have a unique design on it.."

     "Oh, there isn't any charge for it. Remember if you and your friend give the box away, you are guaranteed happiness and good fortune.."

     "You know I think I'll take it.  I'm going to place little wishes inside the box for her. Thank you so much."

     "I'm sure that alone will bring her magic." Jessica smiled as she handed the girl the box. This time Jessica knew she wouldn't be getting the box back.

     





     

No comments:

Post a Comment